Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Another Batch of Moorish Archers

28mm Gripping Beast Moorish archers - not my finest work, in my opinion...
I think slowly, I am starting to rein in the out-of-control horses of schoolwork and the move to the new house. One of the things that has suffered as I try to get my life under control has been painting time. However, in the last week I have been able to snatch an hour here and there to duck down to my new painting and crafting cubby hole in the basement and get some work done. First, of course, was getting it all unpacked and set up. Next, was ordering a seven-level, acrylic nail polish holder to hold my paints on my desk. The last step was actually doing some painting!

The rest of the batch of eight which go a long way towards allowing me to field my Moorish army!
Here is the result of that painting time - my second batch of eight Moorish archers. Although this may seem an impressive output for a few hours, these figures were actually half painted when I moved from my old house to the new one (with Jenny). The tunics were already completed, so it was mainly equipment that I polished off. Either way, this was a crucial batch to get done towards actually being able to field my Moorish army in Saga. I needed 12 levy archers for the list I was planning on fielding, and this brings me up to 16 of the 24 figures that were in the army when I bought it at Advance the Colors in October of 2019.

A picture of my gaming cubby hole in my new house - note the acrylic nail polish rack for paints
 I'm not actually overly impressed with the work I did on these guys. Not sure why...Jenny says they look nice. Somehow, I don't think they are up to the standard of the previous batches of Moors. I'd like to blame on the figures being less inspiring (well, one of the poses). However, I think I am searching for a scapegoat. If I were brutally honest, I would say I simply didn't do as good of a job on them. Maybe I was out of practice? The patterns on the tunics are nowhere near as nicely done as the cavalrymen and spearmen in this army - in my opinion, at least! I'd be interested to hear from readers whether they think they look a bit off compared to the others in the army, or whether it is just me being too critical.

Jenny and my new house -- may look small, but lots of room once you're inside!
The good news, though, is I figured out a way to field my Moorish army this coming Sunday with the figures I have painted! Well, if I finish the warlord's stand, that is! I worked on it tonight and it is more than halfway there. There will be a mounted general, foot bodyguard, and a creature companion. No, not a dog. Muslim society looks askance at dogs as unclean, for the most part. So, I rooted through my figure bins and found a suitably exotic pet/mascot for my army. I'll not spoil the surprise -- that's for the next update! Hope you enjoy this short post. Look for another one soon when the warlord gets done (or after Sunday's Saga game day)...



2 comments:

  1. They look good. While the patterns aren't as elaborate as the previous batches, I think that is appropriate for levy! I am looking forward to seeing how they play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jason! I enjoyed the "get them on the table now" version with 3x4 mounted hearthguard. I may stick with it even after I get the 6 more mounted figures painted up. :)

    ReplyDelete