Monday, October 11, 2021

Two Kings of the Hill in our 3rd Reign in Hell Game

    The Wendigo Cabal stalks Allen's faction of demons in our third game of Reign in Hell
We had eight players show up for our third Reign in Hell evening a few weeks back. Rather than do one-on-one games like last time, we thought we'd try two 4-player matchups. The simplest of the scenarios in the rule book seemed to be "King of the Hill." It is exactly what it sounds like. You want as many of your demons on the 6"x6" hill, with the player having the most on it winning the scenario. 

 

    The mayhem on the neighboring board where the other four players were battling it out
Keith rolled out a nice, new battle map that we split in half with terrain and then set up for the games. Each of the tables had a big scenic piece in the center for the "hill," and then I plopped down smaller pieces in the center of each of the four edges of the battlefield. Each cabal deployed in a corner of the battlefield, so that gave a little bit of cover between each (besides making the battlefield look more interesting). Terrain is not a big part of Reign in Hell games, but it does give some ability to utilize the terrain to your advantage. We all agreed that the "hill" or center terrain piece would not slow down movement. Reign in Hell is all about engaging in melee with your opponent, so we felt a hill that slowed movement would not be in the spirit of the rules.

3 lines of demons from right - 2 Wolverine Skinwalkers, Bear Skinwalkers, Devout shaman & Wendigo
I brought my Wendigo-led cabal that I played in our last game. I'd convinced the guys to go back down to 100 points with no Greater or Superior demons. So, my list included:

  • Wendigo (Leader), Zealot with an Essence of Regenerating Soul (which I have yet to use in a game), and Relic of Soul Drinker, which has come in quite handy. Natural 6's causes two damage instead of one is always useful when trying to finish off a damaged enemy demon.
  • Skadegamutc (Devout) - he's the "hammer" of my force. I like to teleport him into contact with an enemy who's vulnerable -- damaged already by one of my lesser demons or weak like a Mephit.
  • 3 Armored Demons - my Splintered Light Miniatures bear Skinwalkers
  • 2 Corpulent Demons - my Splintered Light Miniatures wolverine Skinwalkers

    Two Armored Demons & my Cabal Leader gang up on one of Allen's demons -- our first victim!

My table had Mike W in the opposite corner, Andy with his Dryad cabal to my right, and Allen with another "Empty" faction like mine to my left. My plan was to advance my slow-moving cabal (both my armored and corpulent demons move only 4") cautiously forward. The wolverines with their 15 life and regeneration are the tip of my spear, as they are VERY survivable. Supporting each are a pair of armored demons, who with one automatic save each turn and 13 Life are almost as survivable, but better in hand-to-hand. Sheltering inside the wedge of the first and second line are my Wendigo leader and Skadegamutc devout. 

    Other opponents Andy and Mike W mix it up immediately with demons massed in close combat
Typically, I move steadily forward (some might say "waddle") until an enemy comes with in range. Then, one wolverine and one bear will charge the enemy. Next, my Skadegamutc will teleport behind the target and that is usually enough to kill the enemy. If another enemy comes within range, another group will charge in and the Wendigo will swoop in on them. The Wendigo is a great third strike, too, with the natural 6's resulting in double hits.

    Start of turn 3 just before the melees began, with all four cabals edging towards the hill in the center
By turn 3, my cabal has usually have killed a couple enemy lesser demons. Our excellent defensive abilities mean I have lost no figures, which was true in this four player mixup, as well. I also went out of my way to NOT antagonize Andy and concentrate instead on Allen's cabal instead. I will tend to have 2-3 Soul Dice by this point, as well. I've found a good tactic is to use any 6's I've rolled for the Wendigo's attacks, and use low numbers rolled on Soul Dice to substitute out my enemy's good hits (especially if they have any extra hits on natural 6's). I always try to keep a couple Soul Dice left over for the campaign section of the game, even though technically we haven't started our campaign yet.

    The towering leader of Andy's Dryad Demons wades into the combat against Mike W's cabal
In our 4-player game, Mike and Andy hammered each other mercilessly. This left me free to focus my attacks on Allen. Luckily for me, Mike and Allen also engaged each other where their flanks joined. This meant my opponents were steadily losing troops while the Wendigo cabal had yet to lose a figure. I kept moving my demons forward, too, wanting to make sure they were all within range of moving onto the hill in the center by the end of the five turns. 

 

    The battlefield looks very different at the end of Turn 3! Demons are being slain left & right!
My Wendigo cabal killed at least five of Allen's demons, while Andy and Mike had whittled each other's numbers down. So, it was a no-brainer that my 7 surviving demons were the winners on having the most on the hill. I know that I probably have spent a lot more time than the other players thinking of tactics to use that compliment my choice of demons and their special abilities. Eventually, the other players will get their head wrapped around their cabal choices (for example, both Mike and Allen were using cabals created by either Keith or Mike S). 

    Skadegamutc, my Devout, and a Wolverine Skinwalker (Corpulent) team up against Allen's Devout
By the end of the game, I still had all seven of my demons surviving. All were on the hill, too. We also finished with five Soul Dice at the end of the game. One of my wolverines was badly injured, having taken 13 of his 15 hits (but regenerated four of them back!). One of the bears had taken 9 hits of his 13, but otherwise the Wendigo Cabal was in good shape at the end of the game.

    Some of Allen's demons have engaged Mike W's as well, as the forces close in on the hill on Turn 4
We were planning on this game to start our campaign, but when we looked at the campaign rules again, we were a bit overwhelmed by the "Titles" section. With 12 things to keep track of for each of your demons in the Titles section alone (how many enemy demons killed, devouts or leaders slain, times in a row killed, etc.), we may hold off on starting it. I am leaning towards trying to talk the other players into not bothering with the Titles and just use Experience, Awards, and Soul Loss steps and skip the fourth one. 

    At the end of Turn 4, all of the Wendigo Cabal is on the hill or within movement of it
Either way, I am looking forward to the next game. We are planning on next Sunday being our four go at the Reign in Hell rules. Hopefully, it will also be the start of our campaign. Stay tuned for more details!

    All four cabals try to claim the hill at the end of the game, but my seven outnumber them

1 comment: