Sunday, March 17, 2024

Final Squad for Anadorans Finished - Whole Detachment Pics

    With the latest squad finished, the Anadoran Detachment for Xenos Rampant is complete!
The final squad of my "blue-skinned aliens" (who I have decided to call Anadorans just now) are finished. So, that's my fourth detachment for Xenos Rampant finished, which means I can start planning our first game. These are once again plastic Stargrave miniatures from one of the Mercenaries boxes. I think I am getting reasonably competent at gluing the various arms, heads, etc., together and making them not looking like mad vivisectionist's nightmare.

    The last 5 "blue-skinned alien" Anadorans prowl through a power facility off-world
With the previous squad, I had exhausted the box's supply of that particular alien head. I had to improvise with other head choices that I thought would look well. Those who look closely will notice these guys actually have relatively human schnozes while the first batch from the Mercenaries box had the much cooler and alien looking sunken noses. Otherwise, I attempted to paint everything identically to the last batch. 

    I admit I do like the variety of weapons that you can equip figures with in the Stargrave boxes
The uniforms were done in craft paint Khaki, with a lighter "Wild Rice" dry brush. I did the straps, ammo pouches, holsters and such in white. The armor panels are done in Iron Wind Metals Steel first, then a craft metallic brown over top. The skin on the faces is a Sky Blue base coat with a wash of watered down Vallejo acrylic medium blue. Any visors are done in Steel again.

    I like the color scheme on the Anadoran uniforms -- not flashy, but practical and utilitarian
The weapons I followed my usual Sci-Fi formula. I used a craft paint metallic gray for a basecoat and pick out other areas in the metallic brown and a bright silver. The uniforms and straps get a brown wash, while the metal and weapons get a dark black vehicle wash (which I need to order more of ASAP!).

    My entire Anadoran detachment assembled - two squads of elites, two of heavies, and one walker bot
After finishing up the flocking to match the rest of the figures in this Sci-Fi project, I decided to set out the whole Anadoran detachment of troops. This consisted of two squads of Elite troopers (using my post-apocalyptic survivor squad, The Nightstalkers). They are supported by two squads of Heavy Infantry using the Stargrave Mercenaries. I also gave the Anadorans one of the crab-like mechanical Droid walkers (the one painted in blue, of course!).

    A narrow view of the Anadorans gathered -- I think the two types of figures look nice together
I think the force looks pretty nice on the tabletop. It is a very similar force composition to the Bronze Legion. Maybe once I have a couple games under my belt I will tweak it some more. 

What's next? I have five Planet of the Apes gorillas on horseback that is almost halfway complete sitting on my painting desk right now. They are a mix of the Battle Valor miniatures and JS Wargamer Printings 3-D figures. Seeing how I am progressing, I would expect one more update this week with them before I take off for a week-long spring break. I have adjusted my Aquired vs. Painted numbers below to reflect the Anadoran squad being completed.

Miniature Painting & Purchasing Tally for 2024

  • Miniatures acquired in 2024: 64
  • Miniatures painted in 2024: 36

1 comment: