Friday, December 22, 2017

New Frostgrave Warband: Raccoons

Splintered Light Miniatures Raccons explore a ruined city
I am steadily fleshing out the warbands of Splintered Light Miniatures animals available to my players in my upcoming Frostgrave: Ghost Archipelago campaign. So far, Badgers, Pine Martens, Bears, and Jungle Rats are ready to seek treasure among the islands of the South Seas. Adding to that list is this Raccoon warband.
Front and rear views of the warband's Heritor and Warden
There is a pretty wide variety of poses and armament in the SLM Raccoon line. Appropriately enough, their clothes are in a "pirate" theme -- with head scarfs sashes, and fancy jackets. I am not sure, though, if there is one obvious commander figure for the Heritor. So, I chose this one, mainly because of his dashing but faded, green waist sash. It seems to make him stand out a bit from the pack. I didn't have a lot of choice, though, for the warden figure -- if I wanted to be strictly accurate. The rules say wardens don't carry a shield or wear armor. So, I picked this guy -- the only one I had unpainted that didn't have a shield -- for the warden. To make him stand out as the warden, I painted up an Iron Wind Metals animal as a raccoon and placed him on the base alongside the warden. I don't think the casting is really of a raccoon, but it is a small, furry creature. Painted up like a raccoon, with the distinctive bandit mask of black on the face and ringed tail, it does the trick.
Raccoon crew checking out some overgrown columns in the ruined city
The crew were also painted in similarly faded, pirate glory. I love the striped stocking caps or head scarfs. They add a lot of character to the figures. I tried to also give them a look of bright colors that have faded with too much exposure to sea and sun. As far as size goes, the SLM raccoons measure about 16mm from sole of foot to tips of heads. They are a bit stocky, though, so they don't look out of place up against the other animals I'll be painting up. They're shorter than the bears and pine martens, but about the same height as the jungle rats.

I'll be taking a short break from the Ghost Archipelago warbands to paint up a batch of 20mm Cubans for my upcoming Wars of Insurgency scenario. I'll be running a game simulating a skirmish during the counterattack by South African and UNITA forces after they had repulsed the Angolan army as part of the larger battle of Cuito Cuanavale.

No comments:

Post a Comment