Sunday, August 23, 2020

Moorish Cavalry Rides Again - 2nd Batch

Six more Gripping Beast 28mm Andalusian cavalry for my Saga Moorish army
I decided after painting my first batch of Andalusian cavalry for my Saga Moorish army that I would reduce my batch size. Painting 8 28mm horses and riders is a slog. I have always preferred painting in smaller batches, including way back in my 15mm painting days. It always seemed to me that you were rewarded with seeing progress on a more consistent basis. So, I tended to stay inspired more when seeing batches get finished. 

Closeup of three of the figures - I particularly like the cloak on the guy on the left
With 12 mounted figures left to paint in the army I had bought at Advance the Colors 2019, it made sense to do two batches of six, instead. I decided to save the armored cavalry (hearthguard troop class in Saga terms) for last. So, I picked out six of the unarmored riders and selected horses for them and got them primed and ready to go. For the riders, this meant giving them weapons. Unlike the first batch, I gave all six riders shorter spears, as the Moors in Saga are armed with javelins. I had actually forgotten that when I painted my first batch of eight...oops! I use the North Star wire spears, which I purchase from Brigade Games. I highly recommend Lon Weiss of Bridgade Games for all your Saga purchases. His service is quick and congenial. 

My favorite horse coloring, Cremello, (and my favorite robe pattern) of the batch
I pulled out the horse color chart that I talked about (and posted) in my post on the first batch. I selected six horse colorings that I hadn't used yet. I opened up my drawer of paints and decided which colors I own would match up the best with that particularly coloring of horse, and set those paint bottles out behind the horses themselves. As mentioned last time, I decided to paint the horses alone without riders first, and then epoxy them on after the riders were finished. My favorite of the ones I picked out was one I almost didn't choose. I really like how the "Cremello" turned out. I used a linen color for the base coat of the horse, with white speckling. I also liked how the "Sooty on Chestnut" turned out, as well as the Red Dun. 

New floral robe pattern I created for this batch -- I like it and will do it again
As discussed in earlier posts about the army, I like to mix up the patterns I use for the Andalusian robes. I am going with a softer, pastel pallette to represent the silks and fine linens the wealthier Andalusians might wear. This time, I decided to try a new pattern I'd thought up: four red dots in a rectangular pattern with a larger, kelly green dot in the center. I was hoping this would give the effect of a flower, and think it came out very nice. I also used the oval pattern I'd liked so much on the last batch, this time with tan dots on a medium green robe. In fact, this particular figure turned out to by my favorite of the whole batch. One of the reasons I like to save the commander and other special figures till the end is that I can find out what color combinations (and robe patterns, in this army's case) that work out particularly well. I'll use those on the general figure and his bodyguard so that they are deservedly the most striking figures on the table. 

One of the Gripping Beast riders with a helmet rather than headdress
Typically, when I am painting a 28mm miniature, I begin with the flesh tone and then work my way out, so to speak. The main tunic or shirt and pants would be next, then cloaks or whatever garments are on top. Then, I do the equipment and finally the details, like shield patterns, tattooes -- whatever. However, with the Andalusians, I am painting the robes and headdresses first. These actually show so little skin it is easier to do the my base coat and dry brush of it first, then go back and fill in their faces and hands. I've stuck with the three basic skin tones for this army -- a deep brown, dark leathery tan, and lighter but not Caucasian tone. I will organize my painting by pulling out the three paint bottles in those colors and literally lining the figures that will receive that tone in front of the bottle. I do this fairly often -- including when I am deciding what color trousers or shoes to give them. It lets me change my mind and switch things up so that the army looks even more irregular and each figure unique. 

The 3 dots pattern has been a standby I've used for this army since the very first batch of spearmen
After the skin tones and their highlights in the next shade up, is the most time-consuming stage: the robe patterns. I turn on my lighted magnifier, grab my tiniest brush (with the handle trimmed to half length so it doesn't bang up against the magnifier), and take my time. I clean the brush regularly while at this stage to prevent the paint from gathering up on the brush and blunting the tip. I do the lines for hem and cuff borders first, then proceed to the robe patterns. Most of my patterns are simply a series of dots in various arrangements, though I have taken to painting some spirals and "S" patterns. Typically, I am hunched over the painting desk for at least an hour at this stage. If I do all the patterns in one session, the plan is for the borders to be dry by the time I finish the dot patterns. That way, I can add dots or even tiny patterns to the borders, too. I try to force myself to take breaks and get in some walks on the day I am doing the robe patterns so that I don't end up with a sore back. Again. 

I like to mix in patterned headdresses, too -- typical just randomly spaced dots
I've also taken to doing patterns on a couple of the headdresses in each batch. I really like throwing in this variety. Even if only one out of every 4-5 figures has a pattern on the headdress, it is the effect it gives that is important. Your eye "fills in" the rest, and you see a more respendently patterned army. The ones that have only borders on their robes, for example, give your eyes a rest and present a more visually appealing (and not overwhelming) tableau. Or, at least that's what I think! 

I wasn't crazy about this shield pattern until I added the red dots in the middle of the yellow balls
The interesting thing I've found is that after the robe patterns and faces (beards and eyes) are done, painting the rest of the figure is somewhat anti-climactic. I feel like I am done, even though I have a number of equipment details yet to complete. This has led me to occasionally forget to do sword hilts, sheaths, and various other tiny details. Then I have to go back and hurriedly add them in before washing the figures. Speaking of skipping things, this batch I did not do my usual research phase before sketching out what patterns these six figures would have on their shields. I think it kind of shows, as these aren't as eye-grabbing as some of the previous batches. Maybe not! Anyway, I hand-paint all my shields for the twin reasons that I've never had success getting shield decals to go on properly, and that I am a cheapskate and don't want to buy them! Still, I think in general the shields came out just fine. 

Andalusian cavalry armed with javelins - we'll see how they fight in Saga!
One thing I started to do on this batch that is completely new is listening to Saga podcasts or video blogs while painting. For example, I really enjoy the conversation of "Northern Tempest," as two or three Brits talk about their Saga tournaments they've played. They analyze their armies and those of other contestants and give tips on how to use various factions' battle boards. One word of warning if you're going to follow suit and give them a listen is that their earliest podcasts deal with version one of the Saga rules. So, maybe start with the most recent and work your way backwards? I've also taken to listening to a couple video blogs - the ones by Herkus Monte are my favorite, I think. Saga Thorsday is another one you may want to give a listen, as well.

So, all in all, I am very happy with how this batch of Andalusian cavalry came out. I am getting really excited to get this army on the tabletop. However, with another batch of cavarly, two more of archers, and a final one for the warlord still to do, I don't expect it to happen at the next Saga Game Day. I think I will be lucky to have them ready by the Dragons Guildhall meeting on Sept. 20. Another reason for that is I am actually taking a mini-break from this army and painting up a batch of Vikings, next. These are mostly shield maidens for Jenny's Viking army. She wants to be able to field the figures not just as the "Shield Maidens" mercenary unit, but just as generic warriors. There's one other surprise in this batch, but you'll have to wait till my next post to see that!

1 comment: