Thursday, August 21, 2014

French & Indian War Fort

Some of the wall sections to my 28mm Acheson Creations French & Indian War fort
 What looked like an insurmountable project once I saw it all collected together in 28mm Acheson Creations resin, is being chipped away at steadily. I finished the first 10 log palisade sections today. I also have the 8 extra wall sections spray painted, along with the 4 corner pieces and the main gate. What's more, two nights ago, I decided to convert 6 of my extra wall sections into staircases leading up to the fighting platforms with wood pieces from the craft stores. All that, and more, in this Lead Legionaries update!
The inside of the wall sections
First off, the 10 log palisade wall sections took considerably less time to finish than I thought they would. As frequent readers of my blog know (is there such an animal?), I normally like to paint in small batches so I can see progress and keep me inspired. However, this French & Indian War fort is such a huge terrain pieces I felt I needed to do it in larger chunks to actually see progress! It contains:
  • 10 wall sections with fighting platforms
  • 8 extra sections without fighting platforms (unbeknownst to me -- bad camera angle on the photo on the Acheson website)
  • 4 corner sections
  • 1 main gate
  • 2 stockade towers
  • 2 artillery bastions
  • 2 interior buildings
If I did that in small batches, I might feel the progress was too glacial. Thus, the big chunks.
Close up of the log palisade wall sections
For the wall sections, I followed my usual formula for Acheson Creations terrain:
  1. Wash in dishwasher to remove release agent
  2. Spray paint black
  3. Paint with 50/50 acrylic black paint and water
  4. Wet brush medium brown
  5. Dry brush khaki
  6. Dry brush light gray
  7. Ink wash
  8. Flock
Close up of the insides of one of the wall sections
 I think they turned out nicely. The circumference of this fort, when it is done, is going to be enormous. In fact, I intend to run a scenario where the battle takes place within the confines of the fort -- not an attack on the outside. It is inspired by an incident at Michigan's Fort Michilimackinac during Pontiac's Rebellion. The Indians surprised the defenders by staging a field hockey game outside the fort -- allowing large numbers of men to gather. A few Indian women entered the fort with weapons smuggled beneath their robes. Suddenly, one of the players tossed the ball through the open gate of the fort, and the Indians all surged through it after the ball. They snatched up the weapons from the women and attacked the soldiers defending the fort. The ruse was successful, and I think it will make an interesting scenario.
Some of the wooden odds and ends I used to convert 6 of the extra wall sections into stairs
As mentioned above, I ordered 8 extra wall sections. I was disappointed and surprised when I received them, though, because they did not have fighting platforms like those that came with the fort set. They match the height and look of them, but have two angled beams braced against the wall on the inside instead. One night, while looking at them, I was inspired to see if I could convert these pieces into staircases up to the platforms. I dug out my miscellaneous wood bits and experimented. Sure enough, using a corrugated pattern bass wood and wood cubes, I was able to easily and quickly construct a stair case that my figures could ascend. The space between steps was high enough I could slide the front of the base into it, holding the miniature in place. It took only a few hours one evening to make the six staircases. The next night I trimmed up dowel pieces to make the fighting platforms on either side of the stairs.
Before conversion on the left, after conversion on the right
One thing about the Acheson fort set -- which I love, mind you -- is that there are no visible staircases or ladders up to the fighting platforms. So, these six pieces will improve the look and game-ability of the fort. Already prepped were the 4 corner sections and the main gate. So, I will probably do all 11 pieces together next, considering how quickly I finished the 10 wall sections. Once that is done, I'll probably work on the two stockades and artillery bastions. The goal is to get the whole shebang done in time to use at Advance the Colors 2014, Sept. 19-21. I am running my "Ohio Frontier Aflame" scenario, and would love to use the fort as one of the vignettes in the game.

1 comment:

  1. Looking great. Good conversion to make the staircases.

    ReplyDelete