Saturday, August 13, 2022

More Altars for Saga Objectives

    More altars and idols for Saga objective markers (and maybe also Pulp temple scenery?)
This last week before school starts up has seen a flurry of projects finish on my painting desk. Here is a second batch of altars and idols for objective markers for Saga. I think I needed only 10 more, but once I got started creating them, I kept finding more things in my unpainted boxes and drawers that would work. Some of these items have probably been in a box for more than a decade, just waiting for that right project to be used with. And once again, the plaster bricks that Tim and Zeke had given me years ago were crucial to being able to create these.

For example, in the first photo, that bull's head was lead and I don't even remember where it came from. I would not be surprised if it has been lurking in my unpainted lead drawer for 20 years! However, it makes a perfect pagan idol when set atop some Hirst Arts fieldstone "bricks." The two matching temple dogs are brass pieces that I picked up in one of my trips to Southeast Asia. They're very detailed - note the Buddha on the back of the dogs - look like statues you might see in a medieval Hindu temple. The stone column base is Hirst Arts fieldstone again, along with two plaster bricks picked up from a bag of scenery items at a gaming store.

    More brass pieces that I picked up in my travels plopped atop stone altars

And as long as I am showing off what I'd picked up in Southeast Asia, I may as well talk about these three next. Once again, they were bought while visiting a temple somewhere in my travels - Myanmar? Thailand? Vietnam? Not sure. The middle one is the monkey god Hanuman. You see statues and paintings of him in many temples. On the right is a brass figurine of Ganesh, the elepant-headed god beloved by Hindus. Both he and Hanuman sit atop Hirst Arts brick columns like the temple dogs. The other Ganesh to the left sits atop a plastic piece from the Pegasus Hobbies Gothic Cathedral box. I did not use any of the interior pieces when I built St. Jennifer's with the kit. I saved the pieces, knowing they'd come in handy one day. I believe it is a baptismal font, but the circular base of the Ganesh fit so perfectly into the font basin that I made it into a pedestal for the statue.

    Two altars from the Pegasus Hobbies Gothic Cathedral & Reaper Bones Cthulhu column

The two altars on either side of the column also were interior pieces intended for the cathedral. I added a Hirst Arts stone pedestal and a fancy bead to the back so it wasn't so plain. Since I was basing them up on 1.5" wooden circles, I didn't want a large blank area on the back. The pieces will be towards the center of the table in the Wrath of the gods scenario, so will be seen all around. The column is a Reaper Bones Cthulhu eldritch, carved column. The base it came with was the perfect size, too. So, the only thing I had to do with it was the same thing I did with all of them. Spray paint with acrylic black paint. Seal it with a 50/50 mix of black paint and water. Then dry brush it to shades of gray.

    The final three altars or idols were Reaper Bones models and an unused 28mm Greek hoplite

The two end altars or idols here are also straight out of the box. They are from the Reaper Bones "Harrowgate" pack, and are actually the second pack of these that I painted up. The one in the center is a 28mm Greek Hoplite as a statue, placed atop more Hirst Arts stones. I realized after I had taken the picture that I had made him into a "lefty." I put the shield on the wrong arm! Not sure why, but it looks fine as a Greek statue, I think.

So, with this batch, I am done with the objective markers. Time to move on to the next project! Stay tuned for what that will be...!

No comments:

Post a Comment