Saturday, June 29, 2024

Blast Markers...Finally!


So, I've been wanting to do these for a LONG time. I've used flickering tea candles before to make a log cabin on fire, cannibal cook pot, and such. Most recently, I used one at the core of my downed helicopter piece of terrain. However, I'd been wanting explosion markers that I can use on the tabletop to either mark burning areas in a scenarios or whatever. What finally got me going in creating these was the idea of using them as Suppression markers in Xenos Rampant Sci-Fi miniatures rules. A suppression marker denotes a unit that failed a Courage test on the previous turn and must attempt to Rally. How to make sure you don't forget to do that? Tiny cardboard counter saying, "Suppressed"...? Heck no! 

    My flickering tea candles with the bases spray painted black (after masking the plastic "flame")
Those who know me have realized by now that any markers I create for a game must ADD to the look of the game -- not detract from it. For example, for Wiley Games you need a number of marker types. You need something to show that figure has acted already this turn (well, at least you should in case your friends might conveniently "forget"!). I use a flocked and textured round base from a pack I bought from Michigan Toy Soldier Company. It looks good on the tabletop and is unobtrusive. You will also might need "Shock" markers. I have tiny brown smoke markers (bullets kicking up dust around the figure?). For a figure that is stealthy, we use a tiny flocked piece of vegetation. Long ago, they earned the nickname "hunker bushes" to mark figures that had "hunkered down" to gain better defense.

    The "batting" material used to stuff pillows or teddy bears before spraying black
So, it should be no surprise that, once I'd decided to create these, I bought a pack of small, flickering tea lights from Hobby Lobby. I immediately went out and watched a bunch of YouTube videos on how to create explosion markers from them. In the end, this is what I decided to do, step by step.

  1. Put masking tape or painters tape around the plastic "flame" part of the candle. Then spray paint them with matte black paint or primer.
  2. Use wire cutters to cut off the flame at about the halfway point. You need a wide enough area to insert three fiber optic cables.
  3. Cut three different lengths of 2mm fiber optic material. I had to buy it off Amazon because I couldn't find any store locally that sold it. Insert those into the open area of the plastic flame and press them down against the tiny little LED light at the bottom. Add Tacky Glue where the fiber optic material touches the edge of the plastic flame you cut off to affix it in place.
  4. Once dry, take pliers to flatten out and deform the ends of the fiber optic material so it looks like slag or molten fragments being flung into the air.
  5. Cut a section of "batting material" -- the stuffing you put in pillows or teddy bears. Cut it so it falls just short of the height of your shortest of the three pieces of fiber optic. Make it long enough to wrap around the base of the tea candle.
  6. Place the batting material on a box or something and spray paint the material black, darker at the bottom (to cover up the tea candle once you affix it), but more irregularly nearer the top. There should be a mix of white, gray, and black in your plume of material.
  7. Coat the outer cylinder of the tea candle with Tacky Glue, then wrap the batting around it. Don't press it in too hard or the glue will bleed through and make shiny clear spots. The material just needs to NOT unwind.
  8. Ka-BOOM -- you're done! 
The tea candle with three lengths of 2mm fiber optic cable inserted into the plastic "flame"

My explosion markers are shorter in height than some you may see on some YouTube videos. That's because I want them to be markers to remember which units are suppressed and have to check morale. And with one of these things flickering in front of the unit, there's no way you'll forget!

    Outer edge of the tea candle painted with Tacky Glue and the batting material that will go around it

Here's a link to the "One Man and his Brushes" blog entry that inspired me, just to let you know that I didn't think of all this myself! What's next on my painting table. More zombies! These the the infected style zombies from the show, "The Last of Us." I currently have the flesh and base coat on the clothes competed. So, expect these early next week!

Miniature Painting & Purchasing Tally for 2024

  • Miniatures acquired in 2024: 64
  • Miniatures painted in 2024: 80

 

No comments:

Post a Comment