Sunday, June 2, 2019

Dark Ages archers

28mm Dark Ages archers for games of Saga or Tribal

Sometimes, a set of figures you begin painting seems to take forever to finish. This group of 13 Dark Ages archers was one of those. I began them months ago -- after I had played a game of Saga at Game Table Adventures. I realized to field more than one force, I would need to paint up more figures to use as Levy archers (which are in 12-man groups). So, I scoured through my unpainted lead and assembled this batch from various manufacturers and lines. Some are Viking, some are Pict, others Briton or who knows what!
I used muted and faded colors for these archers and really like how they turned out
After priming them, I quickly got their flesh done. Then they sat, and sat for quite some time. More than two months later, they are finally done. Other things jumped in line ahead of them, both miniatures from my Modern Street Gangs project, as well as terrain. I purposely set out to make them usable for a number of Dark Ages armies. So, no distinguishing Pictish checkered patterns, or other flourishes. Another thing that made this batch go very slow was it was much bigger than what I normally paint -- 13 28mm minis take awhile. Especially when you consider that virtually every color I applied also had dry brushing or other highlighting.

What's up next? Some more terrain, I think. But whatever it is, it probably won't be in a batch of 13!

No comments:

Post a Comment