 |
| Last of the spear-armed 28mm metal Elves from Warhost -- one more batch & the army is done! |
This batch of six Elven spear from the
Warhost line was supposed to be the final figures in my
Dragon Rampant army. However, when I saw a pack of "
Elven Guardians" for sale at
Badger Games booth at Historicon, I sighed and picked them up. So, this is the next-to-last group, instead! Despite the week or so layoff from painting for
Historicon, they painted up fast enough. These are probably the most heavily-armored of the Warhost Elves that I've painted so far, many having armor covering their forearms in addition to a greaves, hauberk of some sort, helmet, and shoulder armor. Since the armor is a two-step (three really) process, that means these figures take a bit longer. Throw in the shields, too, and the spearmen are easily the most time-consuming infantry in the army.
 |
| Closeup of two of my Elven spear -- these take more time because of the armor & shields |
I did these identically to my other Elves -- priming then with Liquitex White Gesso, doing their flesh, then armor, then clothes. The armor gets a base coat of Gunmetal Gray craft paint, then a gold over it (but leaving edge lines of gunmetal). The third step is to take some metallic yellow and hit the highlights of the armor pieces to help produce a gleaming effect. Once the armor was done (or re-done, in the inevitable cases where I missed an armor part), I was on to the tunics and vests. I picked out six lighter greens for the tunics and six darker greens for the long vests. Each gets a dry brush highlight over their base color.
 |
| I really like the variety of shades of green in my Elven army's color scheme -- very woodland! |
Thankfully, there isn't as much equipment festooned on these figures -- just a knife blade in a sheath and a pouch. So, this part went relatively quickly compared to the archers who add in a quiver to the items strapped to their bodies. You may have noticed I did not use the 3-D printed, fancy spearpoints that Warhost includes in their packs. I finally decided that it was futile to do so. Too many will break off during games, and that will just saddle me with more repair work on the army which I'd rather not have to do. When spear point breaks on figs with the 3-D tip, I will simply scrape off the remnant of the point and repaint the brass wire as the spear. Yay -- something
NOT to look forward to doing...ha, ha!
 |
| I like the subtle varieties of armor style and poses, crouching, thrusting overhand, etc., |
I really like how this batch of shields came out, though. For most of these leaf designs, I added in a second accent color on the leaf's surface, this time. I also varied the colors of the veins in the leaves. The designs themselves were still done with my .005 black micron pen, though. Once the outline is done, I just "color it in" with paint. I also like the colors I picked out for the shield surfaces, too. All in all, this may be my favorite batch of shields for the army. And likely, now that I think of it, probably the last ones I will have to paint! The Elven Guardians carry two-handed halberd-like weapons, so no more shields there!
 |
| Small band of Elven spear defend a bluff inside their woodland realm from invaders |
The eyes came out fairly well on some and fairly borderline on a couple others. I honestly feel that the way I do my eyes on my 28mm figures looks nice when I execute it properly. When my depth perception is off a little, though, or the detail isn't as crisp, they are less inspiring. I try to avoid the overly-large "Googly Eyes" that unfortunately appears on many of my older figures. Hey! As I get older, that's one aspect of miniature painting that I think I have consistently improved on! I may not paint stripes, tartans, or checks as well as I used to do, but I think eyes and shields are getting better.
 |
| Another look at the different leaf patterns I did on the shields of this batch (maybe my favorites?) |
So, what else is on my painting desk? I have a HUGE batch of medieval stuff on there, combining miniatures, scatter, and another building. They are all coming along very nicely, though, and hopefully I will be following up this post with that one soon. The medieval figs are mostly Reaper Bones civilians, with a couple (I think) Old Glory metal ones, too. They're all "old" figures, so count for my alternating New and Old from the Leadpile. After that, I will doubtless paint the Guardians and REALLY be finished with my Elven DR! army. Stay tuned, more on the way!
 |
| Final look at the one of the last batches to be painted up this army made mostly of Warhost figures |
MINIATURES Acquired vs. Painted Tally for 2026- Miniatures acquired in 2026: 210
- Miniatures painted in 2026: 152
TERRAIN Acquired vs. Painted Tally for 2026
- Terrain acquired in 2026: 14
- Terrain painted in 2026: 29
SCATTER Acquired vs. Painted Tally for 2026
- Scatter acquired in 2026: 34
- Scatter painted in 2026: 62
No comments:
Post a Comment