Sunday, May 26, 2024

Drums 2024 Purchases

    'One of these days...' I will get around to doing Mesoamerica gaming, so I bought some more terrain

In reading Convention Director Doug Johnson's posts about last weekend's Drums at the Rapids 2024, I saw something about Armory Hobbies going out of business and liquidating their stock at the convention as a vendor. The name sounded familiar, but I couldn't place what they carried. Turns out it was convention regular Dan Straub and he was getting rid of as much as people would buy - 50% off. One of the things he carried regularly was terrain by my favorite, Acheson Creations. I knew that I would be picking some stuff up, as I love me some Acheson!

    A nice-sized Sci-Fi building, and at 50% off, was definitely worth picking up for current projects
He brought quite a few things I had not seen anyone stock for awhile, including the pier/bridge set, the American Frontier blockhouse, Native American palisades, and more. However, I had enough of those, so concentrated on things for current or potential future projects. An example of a "one of these days" projects is my growing collection of Mesoamerican terrain and figures. I currently don't game Maya, Aztec, or Incan periods, but plan on doing it one day. When my friend Bryan Borgman was getting rid of his Acheson stuff, I picked up some of the Acheson line he had in stock. So, I snagged all three of Armory's Olmec heads, his only reclining Chac Mool god, and a more generic tumbled ruin.

    A Marx footbridge (or gallows?) that will also work great in 28mm scale for a number of things
In the category of good for current projects, there was a nice, big Sci-Fi building that I picked up, as well. I have a number of smaller Acheson Sci-Fi scatter buildings that I'd painted up, but this was a bigger one, and I could use a few more bigger ones. It will paint up quickly, I'm sure. Once I get my first game of Xenos Rampant under my belt, I am sure I will snag this one off the shelf and get it ready for the tabletop soon. There was also a pair of non-Acheson pieces that caught my eye. They look like a small wooden plank footbridge, but it could be used for multiple things -- even a gallows! It is probably meant for Marx's 54mm scale stuff, but hey! A bridge is a bridge and it will work fine for 28mm, too.

    At $1 each, it was hard not to pick up a handful of these concrete traffic barriers
And finally, I could resist picking up some more urban scatter for barricades or walls. The tall, concrete traffic barricades can be used in anything from modern to post-apocalyptic games. I have a set of 15mm that I picked up (I believe) from Miniature Building Authority. These were painted up with appropriate African graffiti for my 20mm modern Africa games. I will likely leave these 28mm Acheson ones more generic, though I will doubtless be tempted to paint some graffiti tags on them to make them look more worn and urban. They will also paint up quickly and will supplement my existing (and growing) collection of urban scatter.

    28mm Acheson tire and oil drum barricades -- a bargain from Armory Hobbies at 50 cents each!
The last piece of urban scatter was one Acheson piece I hadn't seen, yet. It was another barricade, but build from a combination of stacked tires and oil drums. I have quite a few Acheson tire scatter, but collected into a barricade was something new. These were marked $1 each, and at half off, were only 50 cents each. I was definitely envisioning these for my post-apocalyptic games. Like all the others, they should paint up quickly, too. By this time, I have painting Acheson terrain down to a system. Its deep detail makes these pieces fairly leap onto the table with just black priming, dry brushing, and a few details. So, hopefully, with me being retired now, they will see the tabletop very soon!

Miniature Painting & Purchasing Tally for 2024

  • Miniatures acquired in 2024: 64
  • Miniatures painted in 2024: 67

2 comments:

  1. Some nice additions to the collection Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ray! Hopefully, some of this will be painted up soon. Not sure about the Mesoamerica stuff, though! That's definitely in standby mode...

    ReplyDelete