Saturday, February 1, 2020

Saga Warlords & Last of the Picts

My Pictish warlord Nechtan mac Fergus, on his 3-figure base, with his standard bearer and trusty deerhound
When I field my Saga armies, I always like to include a couple extra figures on the base. I think a standard bearer and horn blower really add to the heroic look of the commander. I also don't like how one guy in Saga, the warlord, is equal in attack dice to 8 warriors. So, this is  my way to make it visually more fitting -- a warlord and his close companions packing a punch seems more historical to me. I know Saga isn't a strictly historical game, especially considering the battle board abilities of many armies (Vikings' "Odin," anyone?). However, this makes it fit better into my worldview, and makes it look more right on the tabletop, if that makes sense.
Most of my banners, like this Pictish one, are created in Photoshop using images I found online
So, I had been waiting till I was absolutely sure that Saga was catching on in our area before rebasing my commanders onto several figure warlord stands. The first to be based this way was my Pictish warlord. I added in a deerhound and a standard bearer onto his base. I have a supply of large hexagonal bases I bought for another project, so I used those. I know the hexagon shape really adds nothing to the game, but then again, neither is it against the Saga rules. Many people base their figures on round bases, while I use rectangular ones -- it makes no difference under the rules. Using a larger base allowed me to be more creative with my tufts that I put on while I am flocking the figure. Of course, I used a purple for highland heather! The standard is one I created from a black and white Pictish-style image of an owl, colorized in Photostop.
My Viking warlord rebased on a 3-figure base with standard bearer and horn blower
The next two warlords -- and the first two to be rebased -- where my Viking warlord and my Saxon/Anglo-Dane warlord. For both, I chose a horn blower and and a standard bearer to add to his base. All six figures, of course, had been previously painted. I went back and forth on how to do this. The three would not fit on the same hexagonal base without prying them from their bases. I didn't want to do this for the standard bearer, though, because the standard itself is also attached to the base. I didn't want to take the chance of ruining it.
Close up of my favorite Viking figure's shield - love this guy's shaved head and braided, blond sideknot
I ended up cutting a 2.5" wide and 2" deep rectangle out of bass wood for the the new command stands. However, I didn't anticipate such a wide base being prone to warping, which both did once I glued on the bass wood scraps to build up the flat base to the level of the previous figure bases (which all three remained on). So, I had to get inventive on how to un-warp them! I put magnetic material on the bottom (like I usually do), and placed them on a tin cookie container lid. Then I rigged up something to put weight and pressure on the center of the base. I did this after I put the first layer of flocking on, so as the moisture seeped into the wooden base, the magnetic pull and the pressure from the top center flattened it out. You can still see a slight warp if you're looking for it, but in general, I think both warlords look nice.
My Saxon or Anglo-Danish warlord -- one of my favorite 28mm Foundry Anglo-Saxon poses
The Viking warlord is an Eastern Viking that is probably my favorite Viking pose. I love the bald head with blond sideknot. I think I did a good job on the eyes, so he has that piercing Norse stare. The standard is a "gripping beast" design that I created using Photoshop and images I found online. I also like the look of the yellow flower tufts on the base. It makes him look like he is standing in a sunny meadow, surveying the battle about to unfold.
Closeup of my favorite banner I've created for my figures from Photoshop and images found online
The Saxon warlord is a (I believe) Foundry figure that is one of my favorites, as well. He is gesturing with his axe and holding his steel helm win his left hand. I love the mail coif on his head, and the way his shield looks strapped to his back. The portly standard bearer is another of my favorite Saxons. I really like the way his great Danish axe is tossed over his right shoulder and left hand rests on the hilt of his sword. The standard is probably my favorite one I've created through Photoshop. It is simply images I found online of medieval church paintings printed out at the local office supply store. I probably made it too tall, and I am actually afraid to check and see if it fits in the figure boxes...!
Rear of Anglo-Saxon warlord base with shields -- in an oops, I realized afterward that I used a Briton horn blower!
Finally, I've included in this post the last six Dark Age archers I needed to paint up for my Pictish army. I am pretty sure they are Old Glory miniatures, so it is likely they are Vikings or some other Dark Age nation. I try to paint these up generically because I don't want to have to re-paint 12 levy archers for every army I own! So, they should be able to do good duty with my Picts, Vikings, Saxons, Britons -- you  name it!
Six more generic Dark Ages archers that were needed to field my Pictish army -- I think they are Old Glory Vikings
So, what's next on my painting desk? I am finally resuming work on a 28mm Sarissa Precision MDF building. It will be my city's brewpub, and will be named in honor of my local home brewer friend who ends up hosting most of our games on Sunday evening. Stay tuned for pictures of that, when it is finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment