Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Lord Gwendawg Welsh Warlord Rebased


Lord Gwendawg rides triumphantly through the field on his new combined warlord base
Early on in playing Saga Dark Age skirmish games, I decided I like the look of the Warlord figure having a couple close retainers with him. I would usually plop down a standard bearer and horn blower next to the warlord and move them together as one. As I paint new warlords, they will all be based this way (although it's fun to include a pet on the base, too, like I did with my Pictish warlord).
A close up of Lord Gwendawg's religious banner - simply line art Photoshopped and printed out
Eventually, I decided that was a pain to move the three figures around and that I should simply rebase the figures. I did my Saxon and Viking warlords awhile back, but for some reason never got around to doing my Welsh warlord - Lord Gwendawg. Until now, that is! This one was simpler than the other two rebasing, as I'd learned my lesson -- DON'T USE BASS WOOD (or anything that might warp)! Lord Gwendawg was on a 1"x2" mounted base, while his bannerman and horn blower were on 1"x1" bases. I peeled off their magnet backings, then epoxied them to a 2"x2" piece of black styrene. This was then epoxied to a 2"x2" piece of magnetic material.
I really like Lord Gwendawg's dappled gray horse -- one of my favorites I've done
I had to reflock the warlord base, though. I'd painted the miniatures up at different points and they had a slightly different flocking scheme. Plus, I wanted to get rid of the lines of the individual bases. I painted the entire base with a 50/50 mixture of brown paint and white (PVA) glue. I dipped the figure in a tub of Woodland Scenics fine brown ballast. Once dry, I painted the ballast with a 50/50 mixture of white glue and water. I sprinkled on Woodland Scenics Blended Turf. After spraying it with Dullcoate, I then added the Blended Grass in an irregular pattern, glued on a few tufts, and he was done! Well, there was one more spray of Dullcoate, but now Lord Gwendawg's new base is done and he's ready to ride into battle with his companions at his side!

1 comment: