Saturday, August 8, 2020

Moorish Archers - First Batch

My first batch of 28mm Gripping Beast archers for my Saga Moorish army

 
When I opened up the tin where I have kept my unpainted miniatures for my Saga Moorish army, I was surprised to see that I had 24 archers -- not a dozen like I had thought. My first thought was, "Sigh...so I am NOT half done with this army!" My second thought was how big of a batch size to paint them. I decided to split them into three batches of eight rather than doing 12 and a Saga "point's" worth. In the old days, I rarely painted more than six figures at a time. I've been creeping that up, and eight seems like a good amount. I prefer small batches over large because you see progress much faster. Getting a certain number of figures based up, flocked, and ready to go (and posted here) is encouraging. That last batch of eight mounted figures took WAY too long!
I am painting my 24 archers in three batches of eight, so that is why most of these are the same pose
 

Anyway, I had been kind of avoiding these figures because they needed the hands holding the bow glued onto the figures. This is a new thing with figure manufacturers, and I wish it would be a passing fad. Readers of my blog are probably aware that I hate gluing anything together in my miniatures. I will never paint up any of the new style of plastic figures which require you to glue the arms, torso, heads, etc., all together! Yes, I realize it allows you to "mix and match" and customize your figures more. However, as someone who is super glue challenged, this would be a self-defeating proposition. So far, I have loved my Gripping Beast miniatures for this army. This was my first "hmphf!" moment.

I tried to use duller tones and less patterns in the archers. Not sure I was successful, though!
 

That said, I had recently purchased Gorilla Glue super glue to repair a lawn ornament (didn't work, of course). So, I thought I would give it a try again. I drilled out the wrist stump deeper so that the peg that comes on the end of the separate hand would go all the way into the hole (as cast, it did not). I then put a single drop of super glue on the wrist stump and then pressed the hand peg into the hole, counting to 45 seconds like the instructions recommended. And lo and behold! It worked!! I actually superglued something together successfully for the first time in my life...ha, ha!

The guy in the light brown is my favorite from this batch, with his oval pattern of dots on his robe
 

I had separated the batches by pose, and this group of eight had seven of one pose and one of another. Even though it may seem more boring to paint the same pose, it is a good way of making sure you don't end up having two figures with identically colored clothing. I decided that I wanted to make these archers slightly less fancy than the spearmen and cavalry. I supposed that, as levy, they won't be able to afford the best material for their clothes (read fancy patterns on their robes, here) -- though the Emirate of Cordoba was quite wealthy. So, three of the figures were done in robe patterns, while the remainder were given just borders at most. I also decided to do a few patterned turbans, as well, to mix it up some more. 

Note the one non-conformist pose in the off-white robe. I think I like this pose better than the firing one
 

I also used less bright colors and more dull ones -- at least that was my intention. Some colors I used were the same as the spearmen or cavalrymen, but I introduced some duller ones, like a light gray and light brown. After seeing them completed, I am not sure an observer would immediately notice that the archers are meant to be less bright and colorful. Oh well. I do have two more batches of archers to do, so I can tone them down even more if I desire.

I have begun painting the headdress in a different color from the robes as I  progress on this army
 

I like how these guys came out, as well. So, I am really excited about how the Andalusians are coming along. Besides the two more batches of archers, I have 12 more cavalry to do (likely in two batches of six) and the warlord's base. I have picked out a "pet" for his base, as well. No, I won't reveal the secret, but it won't be a dog. Muslim society doesn't go gaga over dogs like Western European ones. So, it is going to be something different and within the realm of historical possibility. So, no polar bears or anything like that! You'll have to wait and see, though, to see which animal it will be!



2 comments:

  1. Very nice Mike. GB do make some excellent figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ray! I believe they are my "go to," now!

      Delete