Sunday, August 2, 2020

Ten Warlords Clash at August Saga Game Day

Adrian's Irish at bottom emerge from the terrain to advance upon Dave's Romans, who await them
We're growing -- that's encouraging news. We had 10 players attend our August Saga Game Day at the Guardtower East in Columbus, OH. This was up from the eight we had play in July, which I hope foretells continued growth. The store requires masks while up and about in the store, but are optional while seated and playing. Our group has adopted a courtesy approach to add to that: if your opponent feels more comfortable remaining masked, then please keep it on while playing, too. Nearly everyone wore their masks the entire time, taking it off only for refreshments, it seemed to me.
All players wore masks and respected their opponents, which allowed us to enjoy our Saga Game Days once again
I know there are gamers out there who refuse to attend events where masks are required, but considering how we were completely closed out of game stores for months, I think it is a small burden to bear to allow us to play miniature wargames in stores, again. Besides, some of us (myself included), have continuing close contact with elderly parents who are at extreme risk. It is a chivalrous gesture to those gamers to endure the discomfort of a mask for a few hours so that they can have peace of mind and increase the likelihood of their family remaining safe. I know others may have different opinions, but this is my blog. Please don't use the comments section as a venue to attack my point of view. Show respect.
A close up of the crazies in Adrian's Irish army as they prepare to throw themselves on their Roman foes
Politics aside, as we had 10 warlords sending in RSVPs, I set the matchups so that no one played the same opponent as they did last month. We had 2 Viking warbands, 2 Irish, 1 Jomsviking, 1 Anglo-Saxon, 1 Norman, 1 Pict (Scots from Age of Vikings), 1 Crusader,  and 1 Roman. Several players were getting their first crack at running a new army, including Bob with his Crusaders and Andy with his Anglo-Saxons. Unfortunately, we had an abbreviated second round -- only two players were able to stay for a second game. I apologize to my opponent Jim, as our game ran so long he wasn't able to get in a second. I still am not sure how tournament games finish in 1 hour and 45 minutes (or whatever it is they run). I seem unable to get my games done in less than two hours. Of course, I *do* get up a lot to take pictures of other games for this blog!

My nobles and archers on my army's right would play a key role in our slugfest with Jim's Jomsviking army
Jim and I set up a Clash of Warlords game. He was running Jomsviking, which I had played once before. There were two large woods, one on either flank, and three smaller patches of terrain spread across the board. Jim was probably placing so much terrain to impede my Levy archers, as his army was entirely hearthguard -- 24 figures (2 units of six, 3 units of four, and his warlord). My rank and file doubled his numbers, with 32 warriors split into units of 12, 10, 100, 1 unit of 12 Levy Bow, 1 unit of 4 mounted hearthguard, and a foot warlord. We rolled the "Deployment C" which means no unit can be within a Medium distance of another friendly unit.
My wall of spears closes in the center while the nobles and archers get in position to launch their coordinated attacks
I deployed my largest spear block -- with a new twist, a war banner -- on the far left, facing off against one of Jim's 6-man hearthguard units. I joked that my Picts felt they were the equal of his Vikings (technically, each unit was 1.5 Saga points...haha!), so weren't scared. My two smaller spear units were in the center, backed up by the warlord in the center and the Levy Bow and mounted nobles on the right. I opened the game moving my archers into the large woods to slow down any possible attack from his small hearthguard unit on that flank. The nobles moved up to support them, which caused the Vikings to back off towards the center, surprisingly.
On my far left, one unit of spearmen and Jomsviking hearthguards clobber each other to a stalemate the entire battle
Jim opened the battle up on my far left, marching the large hearthguard unit towards my unit with the  warbanner. He also used on of what I consider a very dangerous weapons they had on my spear: Nordic Tempest. This advanced Saga ability on the Jomsviking battle board allows them to launch a 3-dice attack on any enemy unit anywhere on the board. I felt relieved he was targeting my largest unit, not so relieved that for his first three turns he rolled 8 of 9 hits (on a 50% chance to hit). My saves were not nearly as good, and my unit was down to 8 figures when his Jomsvikings hurled themselves towards our line of spearpoints.
My spearmen and warlord's attempt to use 'Reach' was shot down by the Jomsviking's 'Punishment' ability
This opening melee would be the game in a microcosm. My Picts closed ranks and used a couple of defensive abilities to negate their hits. We killed one of their number, so they recoiled back, surprised. Jim admitted he was surprised by how doughty and durable the Picts were in melee. In turn, I was surprised by how many times their units could hurl themselves at an enemy in the same turn. One unit even charged three times in one turn. They have abilities that allow them to remove fatigue, plus Fury of the Pagans allows three units to move for one Saga die. Time and again, the Jomsvikings would charge. We would throw them back, each of us losing a figure or two. And then, they would come on again, relentlessly. It was impressive.
Here they come! Advancing to use Reach put us within the charge range of many ferocious Jomsviking hearthguards
I gained a further appreciation for the Jomsviking battle board when I closed to within a Medium move with all three spear units and my Warlord, planning to use Reach. This allows them to "shoot"out to javelin range, though I rationalize it as representing a dash forward with our Pictish long spears, jabbing at them, then falling back. Jim cancelled the action with the Punishment advanced Saga ability. I could have in turn canceled his Punishment by allowing him to take 4 Wrath tokens, but I have learned that things are best if you don't rise the "wrath" of the Jomsvikings. This unique feature of their board allows opponents to cancel out their advanced abilities, but at the cost of allowing them to accumulate Wrath, which (in general) makes their attacks more vicious. Over the course of six turns, I let him accumulate only three Wrath tokens, which he ended up being unable to use.
The nobles arrive and ride down one unit of hearthguard, while my spear line and warlord are steadily driven back
I knew what was next, though. We had closed within a Medium all across the board. His hearthguard were going to charge again and again. As they did, though, my right wing began to get into the game. My archers fired at the Vikings again and again, beginning to wear them down. My mounted nobles circled the woods on the right and closed in on their center. In the end, I attribute our eventual success to these two units -- plus the stalwart defense of my Pictish spearmen. My archers whittled one hearthguard unit down to 1 figure. Then the nobles would follow charge that unit and destroy it. We did this three times, using the fatigue they'd accumulated in fighting my spearmen to make it difficult or impossible to do damage to my horsemen.
The nobles save the day, charging hearthguard units whittled down to one figure and eliminating them
I thought this would be the way the game ended when my nobles galloped down onto his Warlord, who had two fatigues already. Poor dice rolling (and equally poor shooting by the archers beforehand) meant he gamely drove off my horsemen. Of all the crazy heroes in Jim's Jomsvikings, his warlord was the craziest of them all. On the very last turn, he launched two charges against my own Warlord. My dice were wavering, though, and I could not manage enough hits to finish off his warlord. Twice, though his warlord rolled spectacularly, scoring five rolls of "6" on 11 dice. It was too much for Nechtan Mac Fergus, who went down under his blows, sorely wounded.
Jim, on right, commanded an excellent game and is the first opponent to destroy my army's warlord!
That proved to be the final stroke of the game, but it did not secure the Jomsvikings victory. Their losses proved to be greater, and I edged out Jim 22-18 in final points. It was a truly epic slugest between an offensive powerhouse and a doughty, defensive foe. I think both of us came away with new respect for the opponent's army. Jim did a great job as general of the Jomsvikings and boldly kept up the pressure -- never afraid to even throw his warlord into the fight or the hurl the same unit against my spear wall multiple times. Fun game!
Anthony's Norman cavalry and archers advance towards their Vikings foes in their Round 1 game
Meanwhile, the other four games had all finished by the time we did. The results were:
  • Jenny's Vikings duplicated our score and defeated Anthony's Normans 22-18 in Clash of Warlords.
  • Joe's Vikings spoiled the debut of Bob's Crusaders 34-17 in Clash of Warlords.
  • Tyler's Irish similarly defeated Andy's Anglo-Saxons in their first battle in Feasting & Pillaging, 28-25.
  • Adrian's Irish defeated Dave's Romans in another Clash of Warlords (I believe -- I forgot to ask and they did not add up the final score).
As the army of Normans comes closer, the Viking Levy archers find a safe spot in the woods
Once again, I felt bad that our game ran long and Jim was not able to get in a second round game. He and Adrian drove over from Dayton and had to get back. Others peeled off for various reasons, leaving only Bob's Romans and Jenny's Vikings to square off. Bob was trying to get revenge for last month's defeat while learning to play the Crusader battle board and his new army. He was using a legendary commander, Godfrey of Bouillon, which costs two points (when normally your warlord is free in Saga). Looking over Godfrey's abilities, I think he's a bit over-costed. He DOES generate two Saga dice (instead of one), but otherwise he seemed little better than a free warlord.
Jenny's berserkers hurl themselves upon the Crusader warrior crossbowmen, who are eliminated to a man
By the time I got my stuff put away and the tables put back the way we found them when we arrived, their game was half over (and more than half their troops dead already!). I showed up just as Jenny's berserkers killed Bob's warrior crossbowmen to a man, losing all but one of their own figures in the process. Bob counter-attacked with his small mounted hearthguard unit into the flank of Jenny's Levy archers, chasing them into the woods but not eliminating them. Jenny counter-punched with her Shield Maidens -- warriors who love to test their mettle against enemy hearthguard. Although the Crusaders drove them off, they were being whittled down. Her warlord charged him to eliminate the last knights still standing.
Bravely, the Crusader knights charge into the Viking force, killing many archers and sending the survivors fleeing
Bob was having command and control problems as Godfrey had fallen earlier in the battle. His two remaining warrior units were unable to move and strike back. This allowed Jenny to assemble her attack, stack her battle board with Thor, Loki, and all of the other nasty Viking abilities and wade into the largest remaining warrior unit. Weary from slaughter, both armies staggered through the final phase, their ranks horribly depleted. Counting up the points, Jenny's Vikings triumphed again, 29-22. The Crusaders retired to bind their wounds, and reconsider their strategies when facing these equally fearsome opponents from the north.
Bob's Crusaders stream towards their first round foe, more Vikings, this time commanded by Joe
Although they look unstoppable, the Crusaders ran afoul of the deadly Viking battleboard abilities like 'Thor' & 'Loki'
Another view of Anthony's Normans and Jenny's Vikings battling it out in Round 1

No comments:

Post a Comment